Our client, NILGOSC, is a non-departmental public body that administers a pension scheme for the local councils and other similar bodies in Northern Ireland. The pension scheme is known as the Local Government Pension Scheme Northern Ireland (LGPS NI). It is a defined benefit pension scheme. The Scheme is funded by contributions made by employees and employers who have been designated as employing authorities or admitted to the Scheme. The organisation is now seeking to recruit this position of Head of Governance and HR.
To establish and maintain a robust corporate governance framework which operates effectively and in compliance with statutory and best practice requirements. To establish, maintain and deliver a human resources strategy and to ensure effective office/premises management.
- Advise NILGOSC staff, Committee members and other relevant stakeholders on all aspects of Scheme Governance and ensure compliance with regulations, legislation, Departmental direction, Management Statement and Financial Memorandum/ Partnership Agreement, The Pension Regulator’s codes of practice and other best practice guidance.
- Oversee the provision of a secretarial support function to the Committee and to implement the Committee’s Knowledge and Understanding framework, including the identification and provision of training needs and the maintenance of appropriate records.
- Monitor and review systems of internal control ensuring compliance with regulatory, legislative and best practice requirements.
- Implement and maintain NILGOSC’s Risk Management and assurance framework, including the business continuity planning process.
Regulation and Compliance
- Monitor and review compliance with legislation including Equality legislation, Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act, Scheme regulations, The Pension Regulator and other best practice guidance.
- Deliver and maintain the organisation’s Information Strategy and suite of information management policies and ensure compliance with same.
Human Resources and Premises Management
- Design, manage and oversee the implementation of NILGOSC’s HR strategies to ensure their successful delivery. This includes but is not limited to talent acquisition and management, people and performance management, wellbeing and workforce development. Oversee the review of HR policies, procedures and guidelines ensuring compliance with legislation and best practice.
- Lead, develop and manage direct reports and ensure the provision of support services is adequate to meet internal and external stakeholder needs.
- Manage the effective allocation of resources to ensure the achievement of agreed performance standards.
- Be a member of the Senior Management Team. This will include assisting in the formulation of policies, delivery of the annual corporate plan and budget and liaising with other section heads in order to develop effective systems and procedures to ensure the Committee’s objectives are met.
In order to meet the full requirements of the post, applicants must hold the qualifications specified; have experience in and/or be able to demonstrate competence in the following areas:
- A degree (2.1 or above) in a finance, governance or business-related area or equivalent third level qualification.
- Three years proven experience working in a senior level role with responsibility for governance. Experience to include ideally at least four of the following areas:
- Corporate Governance
- Regulation and Compliance
- Risk Management
- Strategic Staffing OR Strategic Workforce Planning
- HR Policy Development
- Industrial Relations
- Three years’ experience (at a senior manager level) of effectively leading, developing and managing staff across multiple teams/functions.
If you are interested in this role and feel you have the required experience and necessary attributes to deliver on the organisation’s plans, then please send a tailored CV and cover note addressing the relevant criteria to email@example.com. Alternatively, you can contact the office directly for a confidential discussion about the role on +44(0)28 9268 8818.
Applications must be received by the closing date of 12 noon on Monday 12th December